Tuesday, January 5, 2016

It's a match!!!

Since I last updated in June, we have continued to work toward this adoption of Sunny in Hong Kong.  We hit some road bumps and snags along the way, but we prayerfully continued our pursuit.  I'm so thankful to be able to say that we are finally officially matched with Sunny!

We still have a while to go--it will probably be late Spring or early Summer before we can go get him--but this is definite progress.

**I was apparently incorrect.  We are not allowed to share any photos until the adoption is finalized--6 months after we bring him home.  I deleted the ones I had previously posted.**

Monday, June 22, 2015

Open Door

I am sorry it has been so long since I have updated this blog.  I still feel miserable that we were not able to adopt these children from Ukraine, but every door closed.  If anyone donated money for these particular kids and wants us to refund it, please contact me.

That said, I'm really excited about the door that the Lord seems to be opening for us, to adopt a little boy with Down syndrome from Hong Kong (if all goes well, and our match is approved).

It's kind of a long story, but here it is:

It all started when the Army told us we were going to be moving to Hawaii this summer.  This was unexpected, but we were certainly willing to go wherever the Lord would have us to go.

Since we were going to be moving to the Pacific area, Troy suggested that I see which countries might be available for us to adopt from in that area.  Now, our family is limited on options because we already have 6 children in our home, but I did find that we were eligible to adopt from Hong Kong, and I found a beautiful little boy (Sunny) listed on multiple adoption sites for Hong Kong.

I inquired about Sunny and found that he was indeed available for adoption, but that multiple families were already interested in pursuing his adoption.  We submitted our information anyway and prayed for the Lord's will to be done.  After all the heartache and closed doors with the Ukrainian adoption, we wanted to be sure it was His doing.

The adoption agency we contacted (a nice, Christian organization) was very interested when they heard that we already had a child with Down syndrome, and thus experience with Sunny's special need.  They asked us to submit an application, and they put our application forward to the adoption agency in Hong Kong who oversees these things.

To make a long story a bit shorter, they tentatively accepted our family!  So, we are working toward the adoption.  Our home study is complete and has been submitted to DSS for approval.  After this, the home study will be sent, and also our application for an I-800A, to homeland security for approval.

It sounds like we still have around a year left in the process (we pray it will be completed sooner!), but the doors are continuing to open, so we are hopeful.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Can you provide a home for these boys?

Right now, I am sad to say that we are just plain stuck in the adoption process.  Things simply aren't coming together the way we had hoped.  We don't want these children to be stuck in an orphanage any longer than they have to be.  To that end, we would like to spread the word about Yuri and Viktor, in hopes that another family may step up to adopt them.

If you can provide a home for one or both of these boys, please let us know.  We would like to help with the adoption fees.  We believe we will be able to pay the facilitator fees (which means you would need to cover fees for home study and related domestic fees, travel, and lodging (there are organizations who may provide this at no cost).

Both boys are now 8 years old and need a home NOW!

Here is a current picture of Yuri:

Here are a couple current pictures of Viktor:

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Setbacks and sadness, but we still have HOPE

After waiting several weeks, we found that one of our documents was not done properly, and so it was refused.  As a result, several more documents were "expired" (past 6 months of their date), and all of them had to be re-done, re-notarized and re-apostilled.  So far, we've gotten them all re-done and re-notarized, but when we tried to get them re-apostilled, we hit another snag with how the notary had signed his name (he put his middle initial, which didn't match the secretary of state's records).  So, they're not apostilled quite yet.

We've had some setbacks, but the good news is that this is the Lord's adoption, and He will accomplish it in His perfect timing.

In the meantime, we've also had news that has brought tremendous sadness to our family: one of our biggest cheerleaders for the adoption (and a very special friend of mine) passed away suddenly.  Dawn was always there to cheer us on--the first person to see a new post about the adoption and share it with others.  She was always encouraging us to press on, even with the setbacks, and ALWAYS praying for us every step of the way. I miss her tremendously!

It's so good to know that our hope is in the Lord, whether in the adoption, the loss of a dear friend and sister in the Lord, or in whatever situation we find ourselves.

If you would like to bless Dawn's family financially, there is a fund set up for them.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Our Paperwork is Submitted!

We received notice from our facilitator in Ukraine that our adoption paperwork has been submitted to the authorities there.  We should be hearing from her in about 3 weeks to find out when our appointment with the adoption department in Ukraine will be.

It hardly seems real!  :-)

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Please pray on Thursday

We heard from our facilitator that she has received the last of our paperwork and that she has an appointment scheduled to turn it in THIS THURSDAY!  Please pray all goes well!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Adoption Paperwork Submitted! (Again)

We re-did and re-sent the paperwork that had "expired" (was more than 6 months old).  We're praying it will get to Ukraine in time and that our facilitator will be able to submit it Thursday, July 24th.  If, for some reason, this does NOT happen, we will have more paperwork expire and need to be re-done.

The Lord is providing the funds we need.  We have around $32,000 toward the adoption costs.  We're not sure exactly how much we'll need, but we're told to expect somewhere between $30,000 and $36,000.  I'm quite sure the Lord will provide anything additional that we may need, in His perfect timing.

Speaking of timing, I sure thought all this would be a done deal by now.  We've had glitches and hold-ups all along the way.  But one thing we know for sure and certain--the Lord's timing is perfect!!!  His ways are not our ways--they're so much higher than ours that we can't even fathom.  So we'll continue to pray and trust His perfect ways.